Thursday, June 26, 2008

"And We're Laughing And We're Weeping..."


It was a difficult goodbye as the chorus of 2008 met for the last time today. Reflecting on the good times and the incredible accomplishments made for an emotional farewell. For all you PS22 Chorus fans, have no fear -- there are more videos and mp3s to come of these guys, and even some exciting news about something we'll be revealing shortly. (I'm presently going through a ton of pics and video footage to prepare for the announcement -- and it's big).

As proof that I'm a man of my word, here is a little gem to add to the collection. Last week, former student, PS22 legend Steven, star of PS22's award-winning 2002 September 11th Docu-drama, The Conference, came back to revisit his roots, AND brought along his saxophone! He literally blew us away with his amazing playing! Here he is accompanying the chorus and me (yes Dante, I know, "Mr. Walking-Bad-Hair-Day") on an unbelievable version of "Time" by Tom Waits, covered by Tori Amos, friend to the chorus. Tori inspired the usage of this song in our film when she performed the song only a few days after 9/11/2001 on The David Letterman Show. It was one of the most poignant live performances and is etched in my memory. So it was a special moment having the lead actor from our September 11th film playing along on this particular song with the chorus. AND Angela & Isaac never sounded better!



I promise there are more great videos like this one to come. So no worries for the growing PS22 Chorus following. But in all honesty, this post isn't really for the fans.

This post is for my chorus.....

Guys. We spoke. You know how proud you have made me this year, but I'll say it again anyway. Through all yor hard work, dedication, and love of music, you've truly made an impact on the world. So now you're moving on, and yes, we're all a bit sick about it. Change and endings are two of the scariest and toughest things we all have to deal with in life. But just remember, you have earned yourselves some incredibly memories, and those accomplishments are yours for all time -- they are there to fall back on when life gets tough, as I know you understand that it does sometimes. Bigger and better things await all of you, whatever you strive for in life. Now you know firsthand that amazing things can happen when you are dedicated. You plugged your hearts and souls into this positive musical outlet, and your electricity continues to light up faces all over the world. Your humanity is as extraordinary as your music, and that's why you have achieved such unbelievable successes this year. I have no doubt you will continue to make me proud, no matter what you want to be in life. Just remember as Angela sings, "If you can't find a direction, just stick to your own path. And take it far -- as far as 'far' can go." You've come SO far. And I have every confidence you will take it all the way.

All my love and respect,
Mr. B

PS If you don't keep in touch, take everything I said above and replace it with, "You stink." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment